Our North Shore location in Glenview has an opening for a part-time Personal Care Studio Assistant (PCSA). The PCSA is responsible for working directly with our artists on a daily basis, especially those who need physical assistance with aspects of art making and acts of daily living (bathroom breaks and mealtimes). This position is ideal for anyone seeking meaningful work in a creative community of people with and without disabilities.
Daily PCSA tasks may include:
- Reviewing the day's schedule with artists.
- Helping an artist take off and hang up their coat.
- Offering creative feedback on artists' work in progress
- Assisting an artist in the bathroom.
- Sharing examples from your own portfolio with artists.
- Having lunch with an artist who needs help eating.
- Parallel drawing or discussing art history with an artist.
- Talking with and observing artists to develop adaptive methods of artmaking specific to their needs.
PCSA hours are 10am-3pm Monday through Friday. Pay begins at $12/hr.
The ideal candidates will have the following characteristics and experience:
- Background in visual arts.
- At least one year experience working with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Reliable transportation (car or public transit) to and from Glenview, IL
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to generate creative solutions and adaptations based on individual needs.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Strong interpersonal and community building skills.
- Experience thriving in ambiguous environments; ability to see big-picture.
- Commitment to the process of artistic skills development as an avenue for growth and independence for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Comfort providing personal care supports such as assistance during meal times or in the restroom.
- Ability to lift at least 50lbs.
- Be creative, collaborative, dedicated, professional, and timely.
To apply, please email the following items to North Shore studio manager Hilary Marshall at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Link to art portfolio
- Cover letter detailing your creative practice and experience with people with disabilities