Chicago Studio Arts Specialist
Job Type: Part-tIme
In collaboration with all program staff, the Chicago Arts Specialist ensures that artists are active members of the Arts of Life community by supporting them in the development of their creative practice and art material facilitation, and the implementation of their professional development plans.
Support artists with their creative practice and professional development goals. Support artists’ participation in leadership opportunities.
Support artists with activities of daily living, including meal and bathroom support.
Support the team with daily transportation (assisting artists with getting on their afternoon rides).
- Bachelor’s degree in fine arts with an emphasis in painting, drawing, or mixed media, a comparable active (at least 2 years) arts practice, or commensurate experience in the arts.
- Registered Direct Support Person (DSP) in the state of Illinois or willingness to pursue registration through Arts of Life.
- Ability to lift/carry up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to perform basic physical moves such as kneeling, reaching, crouching, bending, and twisting
Knowledge, skills and behaviors:
- An excellent skill set in abstraction, realism, or mixed media arts and a broad familiarity with art materials. Knowledge of proper artwork handling preferred.
- Takes initiative; is dedicated and creative, with strong organizational and time management skills.
- Commitment to the process of artistic skills development as an avenue for growth and independence for people with intellectual/ developmental disabilities.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of the collective to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance program effectiveness.
Hours: This is a part-time, 18 hour a week position