1:1 Direct Support Professional (DSP) is responsible for working directly with an assigned artist. They assist with their creative practice and provide support with their personal care needs. They work closely with the Community Resources Coordinator, their supervisor
- Activities of Daily Living : Support assigned artist with activities of daily living including, but not limited to toileting assistance and mealtime assistance.
- Artist Mentoring: Support assigned artist’s creative practice, professional development, and leadership goals.
- General Supports: Support assigned artist with daily transportation. Support assigned artist to build and maintain relationships.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum one year working with people with disabilities.
- Registered Direct Support Person (DSP) in the state of Illinois or willingness to pursue registration through The Arts of Life.
- A valid driver’s license and proof of insurance.
- Ability to lift/carry at least 44 lbs.
- Ability to perform basic physical moves such as kneeling, reaching, crouching, bending, and twisting,
- CPR and First Aid certification.
Knowledge, skills and behaviors:
- High level of comfort in assisting with personal care tasks (eating, toileting, etc).
- Background in visual arts.
- Commitment to the process of artistic skill development as an avenue for growth and independence for people with disabilities.
Hours: This is a part-time, 10 hour a week position, on Monday and Friday.
*We are prioritizing applicants who identify as BIPOC, Disabled, and LGBTQIA+ at this time.
Job Application (NS art)